Ignoring both Democrats and fellow Republicans, Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) is holding to his guns by preventing unemployment benefits extension from going through. The reason? Funding. All that Senator Bunning wants is for funds from unspent stimulus to be used for the benefits extensions.
Statist Senate Democrats, left-wing media, and leftist bloggers are criticising Bunning for the stalling tactic. Evil Republican Jim Bunning is denying the unemployed their benefits. Perhaps they will blame Bunning for killing unemployed Americans? Statists point to Bunning’s silence during the G.W. Bush years of defense spending and tax cuts, which supposedly added to the deficit [Article - 1. Top Democrats look to shame Bunning on unemployment benefits filibuster | 2. Unemployment benefits end today; extension not approved by Senate].
Here’s where the statists are wrong:
1. The Bush tax cuts increased government revenue. How? Employers could afford to hire more people to work. The fewer people unemployed, the more that entitlements are reduced. The more people who were working, the more tax base the government had. The more tax base the government had, the more tax revenue that was collected.
2. Defense spending is a necessary part of the federal budget. The only part of the budget that is larger than defense spending is entitlement spending [Article - Entitlements Crowd Out Defense Spending, and It’s Only Getting Worse]. The statists who hate the military will never understand, nor recognize that fact. This would also explain their ignorant comments on the defense budget. They tried again and again over the years to defund our military out of existence. Their disdain for the country’s servicemen and women is well-documented. None of them can say they are patriotic Americans and that they support the troops while taking their funding away at the same time. That is something two-faced liars do.
3. The issue at hand is not dealing with defense spending or tax cuts. The issue is how to pay for unemployment benefits. The money for stimulus has already been allocated. Why not use some of those funds for unemployment extensions? This garbage about being against the rules should not be a problem for the current Congress and presidential administration, since they have consistently broken the rules over the past year anyway.
4. Nobody would be talking about extending unemployment benefits if the Obama stimulus would have worked in the first place [Article - 1. Shrinking U.S. Labor Force Keeps Unemployment Rate From Rising | 2. Obama: Stimulus Has Saved 2 Million Jobs | 3. The 'Stimulus' Actually Raised Unemployment | 4. Fact Checking Team Obama's Stimulus Claims].
5. President Obama is a huge fan of a pay-as-you-go system. From his own mouth:
So why is Senator Bunning being raked over the coals for doing something Obama supports? In the spirit of PAYGO, Senator Bunning is just being fiscally responsible.
Statist Democrats in U.S. Congress continue to paint Bunning as the bad guy. Why use money that is not being used anyway? Why are the Democrats not willing to use unspent stimulus for unemployment? Why are they so insistent on further burdening the American people with more debt? Are the statist Democrats really that concerned about the plight of the unemployed or are they hypocritically looking out for their own self-interests [Article - Thune Urges End of TARP as Part of Unemployment Benefits Extension]?