ERBIL, Iraq, July 11 (UPI) — Iranian forces are stationed about a 1 1/2 miles inside the Iraq border as part of an operation targeting Kurdish militants, a border official said.
A source inside the border patrol in the northern Kurdish provinces of Iraq said Iranian forces crossed the border during the weekend in pursuit of members of the Party for Free Life in Kurdistan, or PJAK.
“The Iranian force is still stationed at the same positions it penetrated into on Sunday, following clashes between both sides,” the source told the Voices of Iraqi news agency.
Stationing troops inside another nation’s borders without permission is generally referred to as an “invasion.”
But did you hear about it on the evening news? If the websites are any indication, no, you didn’t.
CNN’s top stories in World (all of these are as of the time of this writing and may change):
CNN’s Wolf Blitzer and Pakistan’s U.S. ambassador discuss the latest rift in U.S.-Pakistani relations. FULL STORY
Top World Stories
- Brown ‘shocked’ by new hacking claims
- Protesters target U.S., French embassies in Syria
- U.S.: Iraq must go after Shiite militia
- 6 police hurt in Northern Ireland riots
- Japan announces new nuclear safety tests
- Dozens dead after ship sinks in Russia
- At least 64 dead in India train crash
- 44 schoolboys die in road accident
- Yemen’s Saleh, top U.S. anti-terrorism official meet
Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown had his personal information targeted by elements of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, reports say. Full story
Maybe ABC has something…
International NewsMore bodies have been pulled from wreckage of derailed train in northern India.Hope is fading for about 90 still missing day after cruise boat sinks in Volga.Kate says she “really enjoyed” the as royal couple leaves U.S. for England.Bishop Richard Williamson does not believe Jews were gassed in World War II.Festival-goers must make a journey that includes airplanes, boats and walking.New Defense Secretary begins first tour of war region as head of Pentagon.
Syrian government supporters attack the American and French embassies.
Okay, maybe CBS:
Top World News
- First double leg transplant carried out in Spain
- Qaddafi opponents have a stronghold in the west
- Sunk Russian boat was damaged, overcrowded
- Diplomacy in the age of Facebook
- Russian neo-Nazis get life sentences for murders
- Murdoch papers reportedly targeted Gordon Brown
- U.S. to protest Syrians’ attack on embassy
- Filipinos catch 13-foot croc in hunt for killer
I guess one country invading another just doesn’t qualify as news anymore.